[NCLUG] Re: Backspace

Gabriel L Somlo somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU
Sun Feb 17 15:45:30 MST 2002

OK, here's another thing you might try and look at: when you're logged in
at the text console, type 'showkey', then press backspace and delete a
few times. Wait 10 seconds for the showkey command to return. When you press
backspace, you should get 14, and when you press delete, you should get
111 (at least that's what I'm getting on my pc). Then, do
'dumpkeys | grep 14' and you should get the following:

keycode  14 = Delete
        alt     keycode  14 = Meta_Delete
        shift   alt     keycode  14 = Meta_Delete
        control alt     keycode  14 = Meta_Delete

Just in case, 'dumpkeys | grep 111' should give you the following:

keycode 111 = Remove
        altgr   control keycode 111 = Boot
        control alt     keycode 111 = Boot

If what you're getting back for backspace isn't matching the above, try
using loadkeys (man loadkeys, I've never had to use it so I have no idea
how to do anything with it) to get it fixed.

Good luck,

Gabriel

     Gabriel L.  Somlo                   Assistant System Administrator
Computer Science Department
 Colorado State University               e-mail: somlo at cs.colostate.edu
  601 Howes St. 2nd Floor                 phone: +1 (970) 491-5305
  Fort Collins,  CO 80523