[NCLUG] surgery

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Feb 27 16:58:21 MST 2002

William Dan Terry wrote:

> At the suggestion (about a year ago) of someone from HP (have
> forgotten who now) I finally picked up a Matrox card (G400 32MB
> Dual-Head 4X AGP) to use in my HP Visualize X550 - the reason being

Not knowing what the HP card is, I imagine that it is using the SVGA
driver in XFree86, and it will happily detect and use the card without
any changes.

Hopefully.

On the other hand, I think that there are specific Matrox drivers that
you can use to enhance the performance of that card.  Add to the
equation that you might be using Xinerama on this dual-head card, and
you are probably talking about XFree86 v4 -- and I have noooo idea what
that will do.

I /suspect/ it will work like magic for you.  <shrug> What's the worst
that could happen? :)