[NCLUG] Dual head video under linux?

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Thu Mar 13 12:59:48 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 11:13, James Cizek wrote:

>   Had anyone on the list gotten dual head video under linux working?
>   We are going to buy some new video cards to get dual head going
>   and I would prefer to buy a single card with dual head capabilites
>   versus two cards if possible.  A quick google search indicates that
>   Matrox G450 G550 and HF cards are all supported.  Has anyone got
>   anything like this working that can offer suggestions/warnings/advice?

I have a number of different dual-head setups running.  If you choose a
dual-head video card (like the Matrox G450), there are usually multiple
ways to do it.  The G450 driver can treat the two heads as a single
screen (so the X server thinks there's just one big screen), or you can
set them up as separate screens, then have xinerama combine them back
together (which has some advantages).

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>