[NCLUG] Dual head video under linux?

James Cizek jcizek at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU
Thu Mar 13 13:24:10 MST 2003

   Wow!!  Thanks for all the responses!
   My main interest in this is to have my normal desktop in front
   of me (a 22" NEC multisync) with the second monitor (an NEC 17" multi)
   running where I can "park" some live logging windows (console outputs,
   ADSM console outputs, xmessage popups etc...)
   Therefore, I would like my main monitor to continue running 1800x1400
   resolution and the 17 inch to run something like 1024x768 or so.
   Is the G450 capable of this?

   I see on Matrox's website they have a linux "driver"  I assume this
  is just an Xserver?  Or do you use the mga Xserver already part
  of X and it's just setup changes in the XF86Config?

  Lastly, there are 2 of us wanting to run this, one runs RedHat and I run
  Slackware.  Since this is X specific, I assume it will not matter what
  distribution and that it should be compatible with anything running
  XFree86?  Please correct me if I am wrong...
  Thanks again for the help!
  -James
  james at colostate.edu

 I have a number of different dual-head setups running.  If you choose a
 dual-head video card (like the Matrox G450), there are usually multiple
 ways to do it.  The G450 driver can treat the two heads as a single
 screen (so the X server thinks there's just one big screen), or you can
 set them up as separate screens, then have xinerama combine them back
 together (which has some advantages).

 Cheers!
 --
 Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
    -  i  n  v  e  n  t  -

 To unsubscribe, subscribe, or modify your settings, go to: