[NCLUG] RH 6.1 programs?

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Fri May 16 10:07:01 MDT 2003

	Yes, that's certainly true, but i am stuck with donated machines which
	may not be able to run the latest and greatest.  If RH 9 can run on a
	machine with 32 MB RAM, and a 1 G hard drive, then you bet i would
	install it right now.  I know RH 7.3 can't do that.

	There is an assumption that getting a current machine is no big deal.
	That's not true in all times and places.  Some of us have certain
	limitations, at least for a while.

I can understand and support that ... with the latest RH 9 install taking
substantially more resources than it needs to run on, it is a pain ... but
so is manually rebuilding from source the binaries for updated libraries
and applications for security fixes needed by older RedHat system that are
net connected.

Current RH 9 will run fine on a 32mb machine with a 1 GB disk if you take the
disk out and install on a machine with more memory, or add memory to the
machine for the install, and remove when done. I find this a good solution
for most Pentium class machines .... on 486 boxes, using early releases is
definately easier, as long as they are well firewalled.

If you need RH6.x ISO's burned to CDR I'm sure there are several people in
NCLUG that can help you there, or have old copies they no long need. I'm sure
I do if I dig deep enough.

Have fun,
John