[NCLUG] Qwest Basic Static IP address question.

Brian Weaver brian at fcu.com
Fri Jan 28 13:22:14 MST 2005

Stephen Queen <svq at peakpeak.com> [2005-01-28 13:10:11 -0700]:
> Currently I use peakpeak.com as my ISP. From a recent
> discussion on this list, I have been influenced to look at
> qwest basic. With peakpeak, I have 2 static IP addresses.
> One is for the modem (Cisco 678) and one is for my router (
> a dedicated linux box). If I only had one address, I could
> not ssh directly to my linux box. Looking at the choices for
> static IP addresses from qwest, I can either have 1, 8 or
> more. Since I don't want to pay for a lot of unused
> addresses, do I really need more than one, and if not how
> will I ssh to my linux box? I asked the person at qwest, but
> he had no idea what I was talking about.

I run my Cisco 678 in bridging mode, my Linux firewall runs
pppoe, so the Qwest IP address is assigned to the firwall machine, not
the DSL modem.

Even with the Cisco 678 acting as a router you could still port
foward SSH and other services to a net-10 subnet behind the 678
where your firewall is. I ran in this configuration for a few months
before I realized that I could just do pppoe.