[NCLUG] spam help

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Sep 8 17:00:34 MDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:16:12AM -0600, Matt wrote:
>person doesn't exist, you look like spam} and this is all because some
>spammer is using my domain as a return address. I know that the mail
>is not coming from my machine because I've had my machine tested and

Why are spammers using your domain as the sender address for spam?  Could
it be because you've left your domain open to it?  While your e-mail server
may not be allowing relaying directly, are you publishing an SPF record to
allow remote hosts to determine if your domain has been hijacked?  If your
talking about the domain that was used to send the message to this list,
you are not using SPF.

I'd highly recommend you use SPF, it really helps.  I can't remember the
last time we had someone forging our address, since we set up SPF records.

Back in the <gasp> '90s, we had some idiot send out an advertisement for a
cookie recipe with a sender address of <yummy at tummy.com>.  Woke up one
Saturday morning to 150,000 messages in my mailbox with bounces because of
it.  Grrr.

Thanks,
 Home is where your source is.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/