[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Feb 20 12:06:08 MST 2008

DJ Eshelman wrote:
> Oh, come now, if we can trust them with our health care, surely we can
> trust them for that!
>
> (hope you catch my humor there...)

Perhaps *my* intended humor was too subtle.

> What I'm saying is that I do think certain types of systems such as
> common broadcasting need to be regulated for the greater good of the
> people.  I don't want the government monitoring what I watch, but strong
> signals that carry hundreds of miles and can interfere with each other
> simply must be regulated or there will be a type of electronic anarchy.
> There's a fine line between Liberty and Anarchy, and universalism is
> that danger zone... but I'm gonna tap out there.

Certainly some form of regulation is required, but I am not convinced
that the government is the only entity that can do that. Frequency
coordination is increasingly being left to the users of the spectrum, see:

http://www.sbe15.com/freq2.htm

Users pretty much take care of coordinating the use of two-way and
microwave spectrum, and most agree it is working better than when the
gov't ruled it with an iron fist.

beww