[NCLUG] Nameserver Hosting

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Mon Feb 25 12:16:50 MST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 12:05 PM, DJ Eshelman wrote:

> Well, after loosing one of my domains because of a screw up with
> Network Solutions (who actually did sell my domain to a squatter
> instead of allow me to control where the domain was held), I
> transferred my domains over there and haven't had a problem in the 4
> or so years I've been with them.  I have a lot of meaningless little
> domains, only a few of which are even remotely popular so I haven't
> really dealt with those issues yet if they exist.

I suspect that a lot of the complaining parties did not understand the
rules (such as not being able to transfer domains for 60 days after a
renewal). Due to their widespread advertising GoDaddy may attract a
higher than usual number of customers who are not familiar with the
procedures.

> And as far as using the 'sex sells' mentality, that's not as
> irritating as the ads when you are in their site; but I'm willing to
> tolerate a lot.  When you manage 20 or so domains and have no budget
> to speak of for them... it's not bad.  I once tried to do the tucows
> thing but... it didn't go so well.

I suppose you can't blame an outfit for using proven advertising
techniques, it just bothers me. If I want to look at scantily-clad
ladies they can be found in many other places. I resent the
implication that I can be induced to purchase something because a
former beauty queen pushes it.

beww