[NCLUG] Slow Firefox on Fedora 11

bsimpson at att.net bsimpson at att.net
Mon Jul 6 18:33:22 MDT 2009

I've just installed Fedora 11 and I'm having an annoying lag when
going to a web page.  For example, if I type in "www.android.com"
in the location slot at the top of the Firefox window and press
Enter, nothing happens for several seconds other than the display
of a "Looking up www.android.com..." message in the status area
at the bottom of the window.  The delay can be over 4 seconds.
If the page brings in info from other locations I'll experience
similar delays.

When I start nslookup and try different addresses, the response
is immediate.  I also get a quick response if I enter an IP
address into Firefox.

Has anyone had this problem, or can suggest a way of debugging
the cause?

Some info on my system:

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530s connected via ethernet to a
Linksys WRT54G2 router, which is connected to a cable modem going
to Comcast.  Firefox is configured for no proxy.

The version of Firefox is 3.5 (upgraded from the 3.5 beta that
came with Fedora 11 which had the same problem).  Other OS's on
the same machine, Vista, Fedora 8, Kubuntu, have no delay when
going to a web page.

Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Brian S