[NCLUG] Slow Firefox on Fedora 11

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Jul 6 20:12:46 MDT 2009

bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> When I start nslookup and try different addresses, the response
> is immediate.  I also get a quick response if I enter an IP
> address into Firefox.
>
> Has anyone had this problem, or can suggest a way of debugging
> the cause?

A Guess: I have heard that some people have had problems with Firefox
querying names twice.  Once for ipv4 and once for ipv6 with a 5 second
timeout delay when querying ipv6.  You might try setting
network.dns.disableIPv6 to true in about:config.  If that solves the
problem then that is the problem that you are having.  But the best
solution is probably a correction to the ipv6 configuration instead of
simply disabling it in Firefox.  But I haven't had the problem myself
and so don't know the best fix for it.

For other debugging I would want a couple of other pieces of
information.  Can't hurt to ask.  What are the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf?

  cat /etc/resolv.conf

  grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf

Bob