[NCLUG] NCLUG Digest, Vol 289, Issue 1

John Nemes jnemes23 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 04:16:28 MST 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have gotten pretty used to Linux since I last posted on the list.  To
be clear, I have installed Linux many times, the earliest in 1996, that
was Mandrake.  I never stuck it out though. This time I am committed.  I
have now learned the basics of Wine and between that and Virtualbox I
can wean myself from my Windows dependency (the first step is admitting
you have a problem).  All my other problems have been dealt with by
using Google.

The downside is I have been spending way too much time getting into the
OS, but I think I am over the steepest part of the learning curve. It's
fun though! I am enjoying the interaction with my OS, it feels more like
being a participant in a democracy rather than a subject of a big
corporation.  I like the responsibility. Although I should keep a backup
OS on a flash drive in case I fry my main system due to a PEBKAC error.

Recently I installed Ubuntu but switched to Opensuse because I didn't
like Gnome and have a strong preference for KDE.  So that has me looking
at Kubuntu.  Any thoughts on that distro? I imagine when I settle on my
distro I will eventually run into a problem I will need some hands on
help with, but who knows, maybe not.

In any case, I am interested in coming to your next meeting out of
enthusiasm for Linux, not just to get free help.  I assume the Hacking
Society is more geared toward hackers, hence the name?  I'm not a coder
at this point, so I'm guessing I would be out of place there.

Anyhow, I hope to meet some of you when I can make it to the meeting.

Best,
John Nemes