[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Mon Feb 20 09:38:27 MST 2012

----- Bob Proulx proulx.com> wrote: -----
> Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> > Bob, did you consider the VPS side of the polls as well? ;-)
>
> Yes. And the coupled components there had the same issues.
>
> For example disk and ram bundled together. Now disk and bandwidth I
> guess I could see coupled together since you have to get that disk
> space there somehow and you would have it if you weren't using it.
> Although a build farm building code wouldn't need a high bandwidth but
> could use a lot of disk space. The sweet spot for me would be 1G of
> ram and 40G of disk space. That would force me into your highest
> tier. But probably the real cost would be the ram and for that I
> wouldn't need the highest tier.

There would be the potential for the "ala carte" using a base option in your specific case Bob.  So for example starting with the 1GB RAM and 10GB HDD, then building up the HDD to 40GB, or reduction from the 4GB RAM and 40GB HDD down to 1GB of RAM.  Depends on the cost efficiency aspect in the end of course. ;-)

> But I admit freely that I am not in your target market. So tuning a
> system to me wouldn't be representative. But finding out what is
> representative of your actual target market is a different question.

Currently Linux ETC has a majority focus on the medical field and training arena, but not limited to such.  I would hate to say "we are open to anyone and everyone", but that is true as well.  The VPS requests though have been coming into Linux ETC in general from our current clients and their referrals.  So we are looking for a cost effective solution to offer managed services instead of passing off such business at this point.  This then opened up the possibility of dedicated servers for others out there like a Linode, VPSLink, or Slicehost/Rackspace does.

HTH clarify the intentions of the polls.  Thanks once again to those responding as well as additional email inquiries about specifics and particulars.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.