[NCLUG] default quota value for all users ?

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:01:11 MDT 2012

Hi,

I've been using Linux for a (long) while, but this is the first time I
actually have a need to configure disk quotas.

I got as far as modifying fstab flags and running quotacheck + edquota
to enable quotas and assign limits on a per-user basis, and this seems
to be working reliably for me at this point.

However, it appears that unless I explicitly set a limit for a given
user, the default is "no limit".

Is there a way to specify a system-wide default value (for inodes
and/or blocks) once, and have it apply to any current and future
users, unless modified individually via edquota or setquota ?

In other words, can I change the default from "unlimited" to "some
global default limit" ?

Thanks,
--Gabriel