[NCLUG] GNOME 3.x

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Sep 27 09:11:58 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 23:11 -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> On 09/26/2012 10:21 PM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> > So when I did try Fedora 16 with Gnome3 I was prepared for change and I
> > liked what I found.  Add gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions and
> > you can make Gnome3 really shine.
>
> I would like to point out that by the time you've run gnome-tweak-tool
> and installed non-standard extensions, you're not really using Gnome 3
> any more. Sure, Gnome 3 is providing the underlying infra-structure, but
> the workflow etc. isn't standard Gnome 3 any more.

That's how I felt about Ubuntu with Unity after I turned much of it off.

But your comment that my tweaked Gnome3 environment isn't really Gnome3
anymore isn't true.  Consider:

* I have NO applications menu anymore.  I don't go through a slow, tired
hierarchy to find a program.  I use Gnome Shell methods to launch it and
love it.  They're much faster and feel more natural.

* I have for the first time in a decade ditched the row of little icons
on the top of my screen that let me quickly launch apps. I find Gnome
Shell works as well without the visual clutter.

* I enjoy using gnome integrated apps that use discreet methods of
popping up alerts and information without shoving a new window in the
center of the screen.

The only things I remove in this environment are the accessibility icon
and the bluetooth icon.  I add a few icon based tools that smoothly
integrate into Gnome Shell, but not much that visibly disturbs the
simplicity of the display or changes my workflow back to the old way.

Cheers
--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing