[NCLUG] LVM snapshot!

Vincent Randal vtrandal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 16:32:59 MDT 2019

Hello Everyone,

After a few years I am revisiting LVM and installing Debian on an SSD large
enough to have a fair amount free space available for snapshots. [May this
thread is too old to update, but I am giving it a try anyway.]

I remain confused as to the roles of lvremove and lvconvert and I think the
confusion is widespread:
https://serverfault.com/questions/128878/commit-or-revert-a-linux-lvm-snapshot

Again, my experience is that lvconvert --merge backs out the changes that
were made during the life of the snapshot. And lvremove somehow keeps the
changes as if the snapshot had never been created (all changes persist
after that snapshot is removed).

So then if my experience is correct (a few years ago and again now) then
others (such as the serverfault article above) also have incorrectly
reversed the roles of lvremove and lvconvert.

Regards,

Vincent Randal
Lontmont, Colorado