[NCLUG] Tuesday November 12th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Nov 12 19:41:35 MST 2019

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday November 12th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday November 12th, 2019, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

Brian talked about his journey through 3D printing to create boxes and
enclosures for his projects.  This all started with a video doorbell
DIY Maker project for which he wanted a more attractive enclosure than
the prototype storage box that had been modified.  We have seen the
original prototype previous.  Now looking at the new 3D printed
enclosure boxes I can see that things have really been progressing
along.  Brian talked about things he had learned that went right and
things he had learned that went wrong.  Lots of show-n-tell of both
good and bad results.

All were designed using OpenSCAD.  After the physical world problems
of working with 3D creations Brian talked about working with OpenSCAD
to do the design.  Creating a hole is done by creating the outside
part, then creating a part that represents the hole, then subtracting
one from the other to create the hole.  In OpenSCAD one writes rules
to define the components as a program, rather than drawing it with a
mouse point and click.  This allows creation of exact reproducible
results.  Interesting stuff.  Best quote, "It takes a half hour to
start a box.  And then three days to get a good 3D print of it!"

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSCAD