[NCLUG] help w. laptop, fedora, gnome + external monitor settings

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:21:30 MST 2019

After 15+ years of using wmx on a desktop with Fedora, I switched to
gnome on a laptop, with an external display (and
keyboard/mouse/network/power) via usb-c when stationary.

The behavior I want (and IIRC, observed during testing with the
vanilla Workstation F30 install) is:

	- When no external monitor is connected:

		- built-in screen is primary

		- laptop sleeps when lid closed

	- when the external monitor is connected:

		- external monitor becomes primary
			(I can make this happen via
			 "settings->displays->primary display")

		- built-in screen becomes unavailable when lid closed
			- windows in it move to external/primary
			- no popup boxes (e.g. from Firefox) end up
			  being placed on (closed) built-in screen :)
			- external screen becomes primary regardless
			  of "settings->displays->primary display"
			  choice!!!

So, after kickstarting a custom install with a bunch of package groups
I want, including @gnome-desktop, I'm no longer getting the desired
behavior: When I close the lid with a connected external monitor:

	  - the built-in screen remains "available" to the desktop manager

	  	- I can accidentally slide windows into it
		- applications (e.g. Firefox) will place popups on it
		  (where I can't see them, since it's closed)
		- external monitor won't become primary, unless I
		  explicitly mark it as such (since the built-in is
		  still considered "available", I guess)

I googled around *a lot*, but there's lots of "advice pollution" from
Ubuntu, and older versions of Gnome, none of which makes sense for my
setup, so I'm wondering if

	1. there was some other (RPM) package taking care of this that
	"Workstation" installs, that wasn't part of @gnome-desktop,
	that I missed when I did my custom install

	2. there's a setting I accidentally knocked out of place while
	doing other customizations, that isn't obvious or easy to find
	under "Settings"...

Any clue-by-4 from any Gnome-ninjas out there on this list would be
much appreciated. And please feel free to hang out on my lawn as much
as you like... :P

Thanks a ton, and Happy Thanksgiving,
--Gabriel