What Node version is your Linux distribution giving you?

Brian Sturgill brian.sturgill at ataman.com
Wed Aug 24 09:29:57 MDT 2022

>Ubuntu, Debian (and the downstreams Devuan, Mint, Trisquel) strike a
>software freeze and package up the best version available at the time
>that they freeze.  They might jiggle things around if that makes the
>most sense.  But for example Ubuntu 22.04 is April 2022.  That's where
>the number comes from.  Whatever is best on the date of 2022-04 is
>frozen and then that is what they ship.  And the even years are LTS by
>definition so those versions are supported for their long term support.

The problem is that version 12 is REALLY old.  Most non-Debian versions
(Fedora/Centos/Redhat, Gentoo, Arch) are on version 16 or 18.
Even FreeBSD is on 16.
(The even numbers are LTS versions - thus you'll see more of them than the
odd ones..)
Wow, I never thought I'd leave Debian-based systems, but I really should
consider it.

There are significant reasons why a package like JSCAD would want to move
on from 12.
One problem here is that the web world is faster paced than the Linux world.

Brian

--
Brian Sturgill
President and CTO