WordPress Help

Stephen Warren swarren-tag-list-nclug at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Mar 22 16:28:29 UTC 2023

TBH, Wordpress's fundamental design actively encourages security issues;
the site code being able to write to its own installation directory in
order to support uploads, updates, plugin installation, etc. is the
opposite of good security practice. I can't in good conscience recommend
that anyone run it. Instead, use a static site generator like Jekyll or
any of the many many alternatives.

That said, if you have to run Wordpress, I suggest:
- Enable automatic core and plugin updates.
- Install an absolute minimum number of plugins.
- Install a security plugin that can block known-bad requests, report
issues, etc. FCCH uses WordFence. I don't know much about it, since
someone else installed it...
- Set up a nightly/more-often backup process that reports which files
have changed, so that if someone tampers with them, you will immediately
see the issue and can re-install.

For the form: Perhaps use Google forms? This is trivial to set up, dumps
the result in a spreadsheet which can be exported to CSV/... via the UI
or accessed via an API, and IIRC it can email you every time there's a
new submission. The downside of course is giving your data to Google,
but form submitters don't need to have a Google account.