[NCLUG] Backspace victorious!

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Feb 28 14:24:27 MST 2002

Rich Young wrote:
>         Now, on to printing and scanning....

My printing solution:  Drop a couple hundred dollars on a refurbished HP
LaserJet with PostScript at The Printer Works:
http://www2.printerworks.com/cgi-win/tpwall.exe/cat?LJRefurbished

I got the LaserJet4ML --  The price was right, the performance is
perfect for what I use it for, and the fact that it is postscript made
printing from Linux as easy as it could be.  If you are looking for
laser printers, or printer parts, let me /strongly/ suggest the Printer
Works.  They have really taken care of me over the years.   I had to
wait a while before a 4ML was ready, but I've never regretted the
purchase.

Now, it isn't color, and is certainly a little more expensive (in the
short run) than the $30 inkjets that they give away free when you buy a
toaster...  but it was certainly worth my sanity.  I'v had it now about
two years, and I haven't used up the first $50 toner cartridge.

If this isn't an option, I would suggest that you find out what printing
system your distro uses, and use that.  There are myriad choices out
there, from plain old LPR, LPRng, all the way up to the Common Unix
Printing System (CUPS) and the APS ('A PostScript filter', I think)
system.  If your printer isn't exceptionally strange, you can probably
select it from a list, and the configuration tool will take care of
everything else!

ObEvilTrollingFlame: What, DJB doesn't have a printing system, yet?  :D

ObSecurityParanoia:  The LPR ports are still being scanned in the wild
for exploitation targets.  If you turn on LPR, make sure your version is
safe, first. http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-30.html