[NCLUG] Slow Firefox on Fedora 11

bsimpson at att.net bsimpson at att.net
Mon Jul 6 20:43:26 MDT 2009

Bob,

-------------- Original message from Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com>: --------------
> bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> > When I start nslookup and try different addresses, the response
> > is immediate.  I also get a quick response if I enter an IP
> > address into Firefox.
> >
> > Has anyone had this problem, or can suggest a way of debugging
> > the cause?
>
> A Guess: I have heard that some people have had problems with Firefox
> querying names twice.  Once for ipv4 and once for ipv6 with a 5 second
> timeout delay when querying ipv6.  You might try setting
> network.dns.disableIPv6 to true in about:config.  If that solves the
> problem then that is the problem that you are having.  But the best
> solution is probably a correction to the ipv6 configuration instead of
> simply disabling it in Firefox.  But I haven't had the problem myself
> and so don't know the best fix for it.
>
> For other debugging I would want a couple of other pieces of
> information.  Can't hurt to ask.  What are the contents of
> /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf?
>
>   cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
>   grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> Bob

THANK YOU!!!

I set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true in about:config, and now I
have a usable browser!  No more delays!

Of course, if this isn't the preferred fix, perhaps someone can
suggest a fix to my ipv6 configuration.

Not sure if the following information is needed now, but
"cat /etc/resolv.conf" yields:

  # Generated by NetworkManager
  domain hsd1.co.comcast.net.
  search hsd1.co.comcast.net.
  nameserver 68.87.85.102
  nameserver 68.87.69.150

and "grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf" yields:

  #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
  hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

Thanks again Bob!

Brian S